Monday, February 18, 2013

Railroad Track Anvil

I could not believe what I saw in front of me. It was exactly what I wanted. Ever since I learned about backsmithing I have wanted to set up my own forge and blacksmith at home. Last year I made a forge and I made an anvil out of a double shoulder tie plate, a metal piece that holds the train track onto the wood beams. It works well enough but it does not have a lot of rebound. Rebound is the distance the hammer bounces back when you hit the anvil with a hammer. The higher the hammer bounces, the better the anvil. I have been trying to find a piece of foot long railroad track for over a year. Very recently I explored on the railroads in Miami. I went down the tracks for a quarter mile. I was looking around the bushes for railroad spikes and perhaps a chunk of railroad track. Listening to the cars passing by I saw a tent hidden in the bushes, where perhaps a homeless person lives. I kept walking farther and something caught my eye. Tossed near the bushes there were two five foot long, discarded pieces of railroad track thrown off to the side. I approached them and for a second I could not believe what I saw. Laying in between the two larger pieces was an 18 inch long section of railroad track. This was exactly what I have been looking for over the past year. My heart started racing as I ran over to pick it up. I was surprised how much it weighed. I imagined it was over 50 pounds. I carried it back to the car, stopping to rest many times along the way. My arms began to ache but I knew I had to bring this perfect anvil back. Once home, I weighed it on my scale and I was amazed to see that it weighed 64.4 pounds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment