Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Writing Workshop: The Super Sandwich

The Super Sandwich


At twelve noon on a sunny Friday, I was in my kitchen. I was very hungry and wanted lunch, so I decided to make a sandwich. I found two pieces of soft wheat bread and put them in the toaster. Ding! They were done. Rapidly, I took them out and put them on the counter. I put shiny olive oil, Swiss cheese slices and salty ham on the crispy bread. But I wanted more, so on went crunchy lettuce and juicy tomato. I fried up some bacon and added three sizzling strips. Hungrily, I wolfed down a big bite. But I felt like it was missing something. So I ran quickly to the cupboard and pulled out a green, squishy avocado and spicy red hot sauce. I added a thick layer of avocado and shook the hot sauce over the whole stack. As I was about to take a second bite from my now pretty large sandwich, I thought to myself, “I am so hungry I could eat way more than this.” So I decided to go all out and put anything I could find from the kitchen on it. I added a cooked hamburger patty, black olives, wavy potato chips, slices of onion, finely diced garlic, thinly sliced pineapple, green apple, red apple, strawberry yogurt, hummus and a fried egg. Now my sandwich was two feet high. I lifted it up, but I could not fit it into my salivating mouth. It started to fall apart, slipped from my hands and fell all over the floor. All the ingredients coated the floor at my feet. I looked at the pile of food and thought it was disgusting. I didn’t want it anymore. My dog came into the kitchen and started to lick it up. As she gobbled up the super sandwich, I was relieved that I did not have to clean it up. I went to the cupboard and got a bowl of cereal. My lunch was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment